Saturday, October 27, 2007

Mountain Hiking at Irau Mountain

When I stood at the entrance of the jungle, I asked myself that whether I could turn back and stay in one of the cozy apartments. Why do I want to"torture" myself? Instead, I should go shopping at The Garden and The Pavillion but not hiking. However, I still followed the other friends into the jungle.

This mountain is called Irau Mountain which is 2110 meters high. It is located at Cameron Highland. There were no water resources. I treked in this jungle 4 years ago. At that time, I was 24 years old and it was my first trekking or hiking trip.





The trek was muddy and wet. It was a difficult trek as there were many roots along the trek and it was slippery. In addition, all of us needed to carry a bag of at least 5 kgs which included of 3 liters of water. Of course, guys needed to carry a heavier bag each. I pity them but I wouldn't help them, haha... At first I advised them not to carry so much water (based on my experience) but they didn't listen to me and said that they won't let me drink the water but will sell it to me. In the end, we kept on asking each other if we wanted to drink the water to lighten our burden.



We reached the base camp at about 5pm after 3 hours of hiking. I hoped that we would camp there and not continue with the trek because it was about to rain and it was getting dark. Suddenly it rained. We quickly wore our thin disposable rain coat and our leader - Seen asked us to continue our trek. It rained cats and dogs as the result the muddy trek became more slippery. There were a few times when I almost fell down because I accidentally stepped on my own rain coat. My rain coat was torn because of this. It was cold and my whole body was dirty. As I was very tired, the dirtiness didn't bother me. I just stepped on the muddy path whereas my friends were trying to avoid it. There was one incident when my foot was stucked in the mud. My friend helped me to pull out. It was do dangerous!

Finally we reached the camp site after 4 1/2 hours of hiking. We were starving and cold. Then we quickly set up our tents and started to prepare our dinner, but it rained again. There was nothing that can be used to tie the corners of the canvans. In the end, some of us held the canvans at four ends and the others cooked dinner under it. We had our simple meal in our tent. We had rice with bake beans and chicken in vegetable saurce. We were so contented with meal under such circumstances. The night was chilly and there were a few times I woke up because of the cold.

The next day after breakfast, we started our return journey. As our bags were lighter because we had eaten most of the food and used up the water, our return trek became easier. Among seven of us, I was the second youngest. But it is very embarassing that I was the last person to finish the trek. I was tired and the pain in all my muscles was excruciating. We took 3 hours to reach the exit. I was exhausted but I was pround of myself.





No comments: